Spread over Gide’s offices in Europe, America, Asia and Africa, the Projects team’s lawyers act on all types of infrastructure: mines, gas, oil, nuclear complexes, thermal power plants, renewable energy, airports, ports, roads and bridges, railways, drinking water and wastewater, waste processing, urban services, hospitals, prisons, stadiums, public buildings, aerospace and defence.
Gide works with its clients both on mature markets and on pilot projects in emerging countries. The Projects team has enabled the implementation of the first BOT in China, Vietnam, a number of countries in Africa and Eastern Europe, as well as in Brazil, India and Russia.
Our lawyers advise public institutions, international multilateral agencies, manufacturers, investment funds and lenders on the structuring and negotiation of project documentation and financing. They have drafted the legal framework of public-private partnerships (PPP) and sector laws in over 30 countries, and have contributed to the structuring of over 250 projects throughout the world.
- Eiffarie/APRR, France: advising two banking syndicates on the refinancing of the Eiffage and Macquarie debt contracted for the acquisition of motorway company APRR (EUR 3.5 billion).
- A63 motorway, France: advising sponsors on the financing of the A63 motorway concession (EUR 1.14 billion).
- Mayoko Mines, Congo: advising Exxaro (South Africa) on the operation of an ore min, the construction of a railway line and a deep-water port.
- High-speed railway, Brazil: advising the consortium led by Alstom and the SNCF on the Rio-Sao Paulo-Campinas HSR project (2.73 billion euros, excl. construction costs).
- Laibin B BOT, China: advising the government of Guanxi province on a pilot BOT project for a 700MW thermal power plant.
- United Kingdom, India and China nuclear power plants: advising Areva on projects for the construction and provision of third generation EPR-type nuclear reactors (1600 MWe) and the supply of fuel.
- Concession projects, Morocco: advising sponsors on the concession projects of water, electricity and sanitation services in Casablanca, Tangiers, Tetouan and Rabat.
- African Petroleum Producers’ Association, Africa: advising the APPA on conducting a comparative study of the regimes applicable to hydrocarbons and drafting a model contract for the sharing of production applicable to the 16 member states.
Strong French firm with an enviable presence in francophone Africa. Established name in the representation of state-owned companies, as well as advising international financial institutions and private sponsors and developers on energy projects and infrastructure developments concerning ports and municipal services. Regularly instructed on high-profile renewable energy projects, including wind and hydroelectric power matters. The Paris-based team is equally highly adept in oil and gas projects and transactions and demonstrates notable ability in advising Asian clients on Africa-bound investments.
Chambers Global 2021
Well-regarded department with strong domestic and global activity, with a particular presence in Africa. Represents states, corporates and lenders. Regularly appointed on projects in a variety of sectors including natural resources, transport infrastructure and renewable energy. Expertise includes BOT projects, PPPs and project financing, with additional experience in contractual and M&A matters. Leverages significant public law expertise to assist clients on domestic matters.
Chambers Europe & Global 2021
Well-regarded department with strong activity locally and in Africa. Represents states, sponsors and lenders. Regularly appointed on projects in a variety of sectors including defence, water, transport infrastructure and renewable energy. Expertise includes BOT projects, PPPs and project financing, with additional experience in contractual and regulatory matters. Also skilled in energy-related disputes, advising several market-leading energy producers.
Chambers Europe 2019
Gide's wide-ranging expertise and international reach makes the team a popular choice for large-scale projects, especially in France and Africa. The group has considerable French PPP expertise and is notably assisting the Ministry of Transport with the landmark Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport express rail project. Thomas Courtel is highly regarded for domestic work. The team is also advising on key infrastructure projects in Africa and other parts of the world. It is assisting EBRD and IFC as advisers to the government of Kazakhstan with the country's very first PPP pertaining to the building of a road project. The group also has a leading presence in large-scale international energy projects and in recent highlights, it is advising EGL and the contracting states on the development of Ruzizi III 147MWh hydropower plant in the Grands Lacs region in Africa, as well as EDF on the development of six EPR nuclear reactors in India. Stéphane Vernay, John D Crothers, Marie Bouvet-Guiramand and counsels Victor Grandguillaume and Nicolas Jean are other key names. Nicolas Jean was recently promoted to partner.
Legal 500 EMEA 2019