Regulation of industrial activities (facilities classified for environmental protection (ICPE), IPPC directives, Seveso, IED, REACH regulations, CLP, etc.); law relating to water, waste, climate change, green spaces, flora and fauna; corporate social responsibility, environmental management systems (EMAS, ISO 14000 standards); etc.: laws applicable to the environment and sustainable development are proliferating and becoming increasingly complex, in particular under the leadership of the European Union.
Gide offers practical solutions that meet the needs of its French and international client base on regulatory and litigation issues, as well as on property transactions and merger & acquisition operations.
- Regulatory assistance on all questions relating to an activity, a product or a project at all stages of their life cycle (authorisation, production, operation, transport, end or sale of the activity)
- Strategic advice on risk analysis, procedural choices, crisis management according to legal, administrative and local contexts
- Transactional support: negotiation of environmental clauses, due diligence, procedures with inspection authorities, management of environmental risks in mergers and acquisitions, sales, financing, restructuring operations or site conversions
- Representation in environmental disputes before various courts and arbitration tribunals
- Review of a local plan for the prevention and management of non-hazardous waste
- Acquisition of a fertiliser-manufacturing company
- Acquisition of a rum-producing company
- Renovating the industrial site of an automotive manufacturer
- For a railway operator: reducing its flammable substance storage capacities
- Opening an account in the European climate registry
- Representation before a criminal court of a food company’s CEO for pollution of a waterway
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is well regarded in public, energy and environmental law, with a ‘professional, dynamic‘ team headed by experienced partner Jean-Nicolas Clément. The firm’s expertise spans advisory and contentious matters, covering major transactions in M&A and real estate, regulatory and planning, and litigation on issues from chemicals to noise. Clement is strong in industrial environmental law and nuclear and renewable energy, including wind and solar. Associate Alice Bouillié is also recommended, and has an increasing focus on offshore wind.
Legal 500 EMEA 2023 - Environment
Gide Loyrette Nouel is a well-regarded environment law team acting for key public and private clients from the energy, mining and waste management industries. The law firm has standout experience in nuclear energy mandates, including regulatory issues relating to the storage of nuclear waste. The team is experienced in contentious permitting applications and civil claims flowing from soil and water pollution incidents. The clients benefit from the close collaboration with the firm's public law department. The practice offers additional expertise in environmental criminal law.
Chambers Europe 2023
Chez Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I., Jean-Nicolas Clément dirige une équipe expérimentée, qui est sollicitée par des entreprises de premier plan dans les domaines de l'industrie, de l’ingénierie, de l’exploration pétrolière, de l’énergie et du nucléaire. Le cabinet est en charge de dossiers particulièrement stratégiques relatifs au secteur nucléaire – il assiste l’Agence Nationale de Gestion des Déchets Radioactif dans son projet phare CIGEO d’enfouissement des déchets radioactifs. L’équipe est également impliquée dans la gestion de problématiques associées à des projets routiers et fonciers. Elle conseille enfin ses clients en matière réglementaire – elle a dernièrement été consultée sur la nouvelle directive européenne sur l'économie circulaire. La collaboratrice Alice Bouillié joue également un rôle clé dans l’équipe.
Legal 500 Paris 2022
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is a firm to note for all activities that have a public administrative law and environmental law component, such as major transactions between administrations and companies, energy, environment, and sustainable development projects, and urban planning projects. Jean-Nicolas Clément leads the team of talented lawyers, including associate Alice Bouillié who specialises in industrial environmental law, nuclear and energy law, as well as in mining and extractive operations law. Both stand out for their ability to ‘identify issues and identify the best strategies to implement to achieve the objectives’.
Legal 500 EMEA 2022