Regulation of industrial activities (facilities classified for environmental protection (ICPE), IPPC directives, Seveso, IED, REACH regulations, CLP, etc.); law relating to water, waste, climate change, green spaces, flora and fauna; corporate social responsibility, environmental management systems (EMAS, ISO 14000 standards); etc.: laws applicable to the environment and sustainable development are proliferating and becoming increasingly complex, in particular under the leadership of the European Union.
Gide offers practical solutions that meet the needs of its French and international client base on regulatory and litigation issues, as well as on property transactions and merger & acquisition operations.
- Regulatory assistance on all questions relating to an activity, a product or a project at all stages of their life cycle (authorisation, production, operation, transport, end or sale of the activity)
- Strategic advice on risk analysis, procedural choices, crisis management according to legal, administrative and local contexts
- Transactional support: negotiation of environmental clauses, due diligence, procedures with inspection authorities, management of environmental risks in mergers and acquisitions, sales, financing, restructuring operations or site conversions
- Representation in environmental disputes before various courts and arbitration tribunals
- Review of a local plan for the prevention and management of non-hazardous waste
- Acquisition of a fertiliser-manufacturing company
- Acquisition of a rum-producing company
- Renovating the industrial site of an automotive manufacturer
- For a railway operator: reducing its flammable substance storage capacities
- Opening an account in the European climate registry
- Representation before a criminal court of a food company’s CEO for pollution of a waterway
Chez Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I., Jean-Nicolas Clément dirige une équipe expérimentée, qui est sollicitée par des entreprises de premier plan dans les domaines de l'industrie, de l’ingénierie, de l’exploration pétrolière, de l’énergie et du nucléaire. Le cabinet est en charge de dossiers particulièrement stratégiques relatifs au secteur nucléaire – il assiste l’Agence Nationale de Gestion des Déchets Radioactif dans son projet phare CIGEO d’enfouissement des déchets radioactifs. L’équipe est également impliquée dans la gestion de problématiques associées à des projets routiers et fonciers. Elle conseille enfin ses clients en matière réglementaire – elle a dernièrement été consultée sur la nouvelle directive européenne sur l'économie circulaire. La collaboratrice Alice Bouillié joue également un rôle clé dans l’équipe.
Legal 500 Paris 2022
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is a firm to note for all activities that have a public administrative law and environmental law component, such as major transactions between administrations and companies, energy, environment, and sustainable development projects, and urban planning projects. Jean-Nicolas Clément leads the team of talented lawyers, including associate Alice Bouillié who specialises in industrial environmental law, nuclear and energy law, as well as in mining and extractive operations law. Both stand out for their ability to ‘identify issues and identify the best strategies to implement to achieve the objectives’.
Legal 500 EMEA 2022
Top-tier firm for administrative law mandates, benefiting from a large team of specialists in energy, environment and urban planning. Has strong experience in the negotiation or restructuring of concession contracts, including high-profile mandates that facilitate the development of major rail infrastructure projects. Assists clients with proceedings before the administrative courts and the Conseil d'État, seeking to challenge aspects of public policy or the outcome of individual public tender processes. Sources say: 'The public law department demonstrates a very high level of responsiveness and excellent knowledge of its clients' issues.
Chambers Europe 2019
Gide Loyrette Nouel provides ‘high quality services’, ‘takes time to understand business constraints and really acts as a business partner to reach its clients' goals’. The team has a full range of industrial and mining environmental expertise and also stands out for its niche in high-level nuclear law knowledge. The practice is appointed by leading names in the oil, nuclear and other industrial fields to handle high-profile strategic projects, disputes and crisis management situations. It is providing continuous assistance to Andra with its Cigeo project, which involves building the only French underground nuclear waste site storage. The practice is also advising Euro Disney with the expansion of a leisure park. In addition, the team is frequently consulted to provide guidance on key matters. It notably advised UUFIP - the trade union representing the oil industry players in France - on the French Environment Ministry’s decision to cancel energy savings certificates. Total, PSG football club, Vinci Airport and EDF are other clients. Practice head Jean-Nicolas Clément is among the most respected experts in the field.
Legal 500 EMEA 2019