In the infrastructure sector, we act during the acquisition of renewable energy projects as well as during the establishment of energy infrastructure project documentation (construction and maintenance contracts, financing contracts, regulatory and tax aspects). We prepare and negotiate agreements for connection, operation and access to the producer’s transmission network. We assist suppliers on formalising their offers, validating their general conditions of sale and their contractual negotiations.
We act during the audit, we advise public bodies and operators on their analysis of electricity and natural gas distribution concessions.
We represent the electricity and gas market players before national and European courts and authorities alike.
- Acquisition of wind farms: acquiring two wind farms in France (over 100Mw) for a foreign investor
- Renewal of hydroelectric concessions: regulatory advice to several foreign operators and structuring of offers
- Financing of natural gas campaigns: financing a gas campaign and implementing storage-related guarantees for a banking institution
- Electricity distribution: acting for a distributor in a dispute regarding the connection of photovoltaic cells, before the courts and the watchdog (CoRDiS)
- Gas pricing: for a gas shipper, mediation with a transmission manager for more flexibility in the service provided
- Execution of a framework agreement: advising and representing EDF regarding the execution of the ARENH framework agreement with several alternative suppliers following requests in the context of the state of public health emergency for force majeure
- Investigation by the French Energy regulation commission: advising a European supplier on an investigation conducted by the French Energy regulation commission (Commission de régulation de l'énergie) regarding trading operations on the French wholesale electricity market under the "REMIT" Regulation
- Pre-litigation and litigation: assisting and representing an electricity distribution network operator in pre-litigation and litigation initiated by private individuals relating to the installation of communicating meters (Linky)
Gide Loyrette Nouel is an international law firm with a well-established presence in Algeria and significant expertise in energy matters. The firm has a growing and impressive client roster consisting of key energy and oil and gas players such as Eni and Sonatrach. Recently, the firm has been advising on acquisitions, PSC and EPC contracts, joint ventures, ICC arbitrations and project financing. Practice head Samy Laghouati has significant experience advising on business ventures, transactions and investments in Algeria. He is supported by of counsel Djamila Annad, who has former experience at Sonatrach and the Office of the Ministry of Energy. Associate Xavier Lecomte and counsel Julien Gontier are other key lawyers.
Legal 500 EMEA 2023 - Algeria - Energy
The energy department at Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is led by practitioners with an array of expertise, including project finance specialists Marie Bouvet-Guiramand, John D Crothers, Victor Grandguillaume, Nicolas Jean and Stéphane Vernay, alongside public law and energy specialist Bénédicte Mazel and experienced M&A lawyers Alexis Pailleret and Anne Tolila. The firm has a strong reputation for its ability to advise on large-scale and complex matters for major clients, including EDF, which it is currently advising on the design, supply and construction of the largest nuclear power plant in the world, in India. Its workload regularly involves advising on energy optimisation and handling renewable and solar energy matters, which are often international and high value in nature. The team's client list also includes government bodies; it is currently advising the governments of the Ivory Coast and Niger on photovoltaic projects in Africa. In addition to its experienced partners, the team is also noted as being ‘supported by strong associates’. Specialist partner Michel Guénaire departed the firm in June 2022.
Legal 500 EMEA 2023 - Industry Focus : Energy
Gide Loyrette Nouel's highly respected team counts Halliburton and E&P Energy among its client roster, and advises on major joint ventures, share acquisitions and contractual agreements. Samy Laghouati oversees the team and is highly skilled in the aforementioned areas, with expertise in both traditional and renewable energy projects. Highlights included advising on Total's joint venture with the publicly owned Sonatrach concerning the development of a major petrochemical project.
Legal 500 EMEA 2022 - Algeria