Partner Christopher Szostak specialises in real estate matters. He is mainly involved in acquisition and disposal work concerning real estate assets and companies, joint ventures, development projects, leases and financing.
His main clients are listed real estate companies, Middle-Eastern sovereign wealth funds and private equity funds.
Christopher is dual qualified (Solicitor (England and Wales) and Paris bar).
He is regularly listed as a leading lawyer in real estate in legal guides such as Legal 500 and Best Lawyers in France.
Recent work includes advising:
- a sovereign wealth fund on the disposal of 6-8 Haussmann buildings for circa. €470 million (2017);
- Orange on the lease of its new global headquarters (2017);
- Hammerson on the €250 million redevelopment and extension of the "Trois Fontaines" shopping centre project in Cergy-Pontoise (2017);
- Doughty Hanson on the disposal of the Golf Park complex of five office buildings in Toulouse (2017) and on the prior acquisition, financing and development of the project (2009-2016);
- One Third on structuring a co-living project (2016);
- Swiss Life Reim on financing the acquisition of a portfolio of 8 hotels in Germany (2016);
- GLL Real Estate Partners on the acquisition of a logistics facility from Gicram (2016), a lease of a prime Paris CBD building to Parfums Christian Dior (2016), the disposal of a prime Paris CBD office building to CARMF (2016), and the €200 million disposal of a portfolio of 8 logistics assets to AEW through a share deal (2015);
- Rockspring on the acquisition of two logistics portfolios from Foncière des Régions (2016) and CBRE Global Investors (2015);
- Hammerson on the €450 million development of the 45,000 sq.m. sales area "Terrasses du Port" shopping centre project in Marseille (2009-2016);
- Ghelamco on the acquisition of the Pomme de Pin hotel in Courchevel in view of a redevelopment project and assistance with the redevelopment project (2015-2017);
- Captiva Capital Partners and Nexity on the disposal to Weinberg of the Aviso office building in Suresnes (2014);
- Grosvenor on the €300 million acquisition from ANF of 30 mixed-use (retail, office and residential) buildings in the rue de la République area in Lyon (2012).
« Finally, the practice fields one of the market’s most renowned real estate finance expertise, often acting for banks on the structuring of the market’s largest financings. Frédéric Nouel directs the strong practice which also includes: Stanislas Dwernicki, Eric Martin-Impératori, Renaud Baguenault de Puchesse, Bertrand Oldra, Christopher Szostak, Hugues Moreau, Jean-François Levraud, Nicolas Planchot and Constantin Miliotis, who made partner in early 2020. »
Legal 500 EMEA 2021
« Christopher Szostak enters the table this year following praise from the market. His caseload features large-scale acquisitions and disposals, often on behalf of foreign investors and asset managers. »
Chambers Europe 2021
« Gide Loyrette Nouel is praised for its ‘capability to go beyond typical real estate issues and advise on broader strategic and partnership matters’. The ‘responsive and efficient’ 50-lawyer team, which also has ‘an excellent proactive and solution-driven approach’, handles an impressive amount of high-profile investment and property finance deals each year, spanning the office, retail and logistics sectors thanks to its combination of top investment, finance and tax expertise. The group is retained by an outstanding domestic and international client base made up of top property investors and developers. [...] The practice is headed by Frédéric Nouel. Other key names include Renaud Baguenault de Puchesse, Eric Martin-Impératori, Stanislas Dwernicki, Bertrand Oldra, Christopher Szostak, the ‘excellent and very business-oriented’ Hugues Moreau, who is ‘highly appreciated for his ability to advise clients on major strategic issues’, and Nicolas Planchot, whose ‘leadership is central to successfully closing deals’. »
Legal 500 EMEA 2019
« Extremely well-regarded practice covering the full spectrum of real estate matters. Lawyers have expertise in finance, as well as in development, commercial leases and real estate funds. Represents all types of clients including financial institutions, developers and corporates. Acts on pan-European and cross-border mandates. Visible in a range of sectors including retail, offices, hotels and logistics.
One client describes the lawyers as 'thorough, effective, service-oriented and deal-oriented.' Another client praises the experience of the lawyers, saying: 'They are very hands-on and they have an experience that allow them to anticipate and come up with solutions we had not thought about.' Clients also appreciate the reactivity of the lawyers and the large scope of expertise at the firm: 'They have a mind-blowing reactivity, have all the competencies integrated at their firm, are good on a large number of topics and finally they are efficient.' »
Chambers Europe 2019
« The impressive Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is ‘among the top law firms in Paris, comes first for large deals’, is ‘very professional, delivers on time, and gives good insights on the market’s latest developments’. The large 49-lawyer team serves many high-profile European listed property companies, French and international investment funds, developers, industrial operators, high end-users and lenders and is consistently involved in the market’s largest investment deals. Highlights included assisting AccorHotels with the spin-off of its business line HotelInvest; Norges Bank Investment Management with the €1bn share-deal acquisition of a real estate complex located at Place Vendome and rue Saint Honoré in Paris, which is the largest ever transaction by value on a single asset in Paris to date; and Union Investment Real Estate with the off-plan acquisition of the "Grand Central" building. The team also assisted Total with the off-plan lease of its new headquarters. The highly recognised Frédéric Nouel, Stanislas Dwernicki, Eric Martin-Impératori and Renault Baguenault de Puchesse head the practice. Other key names in the team include Bertrand Oldra, Christopher Szostak who ‘anticipates clients’ needs and is a very trustful and pro-business adviser that you are glad to have on your side at the negotiating table’, the ‘always available’ Hugues Moreau and Nicolas Planchot. The firm is also second-to none for property finance work. »
Legal 500 EMEA 2018
« Christopher Szostak, who is ‘always available, gives detailed analysis and is able to handle the most complex transactions’ »
Legal 500 EMEA 2017