Pairs a well-reputed media practice with strong telecoms expertise. The team covers transactional, contentious and non-contentious matters in the fields of television, publishing and online media. Also noted for its remarkable insight into the African telecoms market. Sources highlight the firm's strengths as being its 'regional cover, knowledge of clients' businesses and good-quality associates.'
Chambers Europe 2017
Regulation of e-communication
Building on a close working partnership with over twenty telecoms regulators in the world (in particular the ARCEP in France), for some 15 years now Gide has been acting for network operators and telecom service providers on all regulation topics, in particular as regards the management of rare resources, the granting of licences, the launch of new services, the roll-out of new networks and control and sanction proceedings.
Pricing, competition and distribution regulation
In close cooperation with technical and economics experts specialising in e-communication, we act for operators and regulators on analysing and determining various markets that are relevant to electronic communication, as well as the assessing / contesting of solutions (ex ante or ex post sanctions). Whether regarding pricing regulation, interconnection, unbundling, co-rental conditions, or distribution conditions for new added-value services, Gide acts very regularly before national and European bodies to defend the interests of operators or to advise regulation authorities in charge of these conflicts.
Acquisitions & Privatisations
Our high-level knowledge of the telecommunications market’s specifics and limitations places us in an ideal position to act both on regulatory aspects and transactional cases. As regards the acquisition of operators, the perfect command of technical stakes and regulation in over thirty countries worldwide, particularly in Europe, the Middle-East and Africa, is the added value we bring to our clients, enabling us to find creative solutions to their often complex issues.
Dispute resolution and arbitration
Our lawyers in the Telecommunications team represent their clients before the sector’s regulation and competition authorities and courts, including in cross-border procedures involving aspects of civil and common law. They are frequently called upon to act in national and international arbitration procedures alongside operators, equipment manufacturers and regulatory authorities.
Gide’s Telecommunications team is commended for its expertise in satellite-related matters (acquisition, financing and running of satellite systems, obtaining licences, orbital position, bandwidths).
- Advising thirty government authorities for over 15 years, in particular in Africa, on drafting and strengthening the regulatory and legislative context applicable to telecommunications and electronic transactions
- Advising an electrical sector operator on the regulatory aspects of using the telecommunications capacity of its fibre optic networks
- Advising several governments on granting telecommunications licences
- Advising a French telecommunications operator on the regulatory and tax aspects of marketing conditions for value-added telecommunications services. Gide acts on structuring the conditions for operations and interconnection agreements
- Assisting several African governments on PPP projects regarding the connection and operating authorisations for the international ACE submarine cable, and on the roll-out of backbone infrastructure
- Advising a major telecommunications company on an international arbitration case regarding using the orbital position of a space station
- Advising several telecommunication equipment manufacturers on authorisation requests from ANSSI, for various items of equipment that require specific approval prior to sale in France
Gide Loyrette Nouel has ‘a very high level of IT knowledge’. The ‘very responsive and practical’ team deals with IT, data and internet matters. It is led by the ‘excellent’ Thierry Dor, who shows ‘high commitment to solving problems’. The firm also has strong experience of advising corporations, state entities and authorities on telecoms regulations and infrastructure projects, especially in Africa. The practice notably assisted SNCF with the deployment of a wi-fi network in trains in France. Eutelsat and the Benin telecoms authorities are clients. Olivier Cousi is the key contact.
Legal 500 EMEA 2017
Olivier Cousi specialises in media, entertainment and telecoms. He is also active in the regulatory sector, advising on the regulation of electronic communications in both France and Africa. He recently advised Radio France on several press and media matters.
Chambers Europe 2017
Gide has strong telecoms expertise – where it advises operators, African states and public sector companies on regulatory and project matters – and is equally strong in the data privacy area, where it recently advised on e-projects in the healthcare and gas sectors. Clients include Eutelsat and Orange. Olivier Cousi and Thierry Dor are recommended.
Legal 500 EMEA 2016
A standout name in the telecommunications and media sectors, supporting both domestic and international clients. Its lawyers are particularly active on telecoms matters in developing economies, while its media expertise covers regulatory, licensing and rights protection issues. Draws particular praise for his skill in cross-border mandates.
Chambers Europe 2014