Gide is commended for having the most recognised financial services law practice in Paris. We act for French and foreign management companies, banks, financial institutions, investment funds to advise them on their structure, their regulatory framework and their activities, as well as in banking and financial disputes, whether disciplinary (AMF, ACP, etc.) or judicial. We also advise these establishments on their acquisition, and national and international restructuring operations.
We assist regulated establishments in their post-trading activities (clearing, settlement, custody account-keeping) as well as for questions of prudential regulation.
Gide also advises regulated institutions in lobbying actions that are either direct or initiated by professional associations and brought before national authorities or the European Union.
Our lawyers uphold close relationships with French authorities and administrations (in particular the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Finance, the Prudential Supervisory Authority and the Financial Markets Authority) and those in countries in which the firm is set up, as well as with European authorities (the European Commission), and French and European professional associations.
- Advising and representing the interests of the EVCA in the context of discussions with the European Commission, the European Council and the European Parliament upon adoption of the directive applicable to alternative investment fund managers (AIFM Directive).
- Advising as part of a massive restructuring (EUR 10 billion) of the Caisse Nationale des Caisses d'Epargne and the Banque Fédérale des Banques Populaires, which led to the creation of the second largest French credit institution in 2009 (BPCE): coordination and control of compliance with banking, financial and insurance regulations in over 70 different jurisdictions (excluding United States) over a period exceeding 9 months. This was the first European operation to be conducted on the basis of the new provisions of Directive 2006/48/EC relating to the taking up and pursuit of the business of credit institutions, and to their implementation integrating those of Directive 2007/44/EC.
- Advising on the regulatory and corporate aspects in the context of the sale of Kepler to Icelandic bank Landsbanki, and assistance to management regarding the MBO take-over of the company at the time of the Icelandic crisis. Negotiation in particular of regulatory aspects with the French central bank. Advising on alternative operations for external growth and restructuring.
- Advising French bank Lehman Brothers in the context of the bankruptcy of Lehman group. Sale of the bank’s activities to Nomura, thereby preventing the bankruptcy of the institution. Negotiating all regulatory aspects with the banking commission.
- Assisting several French cooperative and mutualist banks with a view to amending the directive pertaining to the capital requirements of banks. Our assistance enabled us to draft pitches and presentations of reasons and amendments, for a better development of mutualist bank capital in the CRD III Directive.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I focuses on complex regulatory advice to international financial services clients, encompassing banking regulations, payment services issues, and most notably ESG and sustainability matters, both pertaining to operational and transactional work. The firm counts among its clients major banks, insurers, fintech providers, and investment funds, and is able to act on EU-wide and a variety of domestic regulatory mandates, including legislative and non-legislative frameworks. Benoît Le Bret leads the team, offering strong experience in negotiations before and litigation against EU agencies and courts, alongside Romain Rard, promoted to partner in July 2022, and a specialist in financial services regulatory matters for corporates and professional associations as well as financial institutions.
Legal 500 EMEA 2023 - Belgium - EU Regulatory : Financial Services
Gide Loyrette Nouel boasts a leading banking and finance practice with solid expertise across the financial sector, covering projects, real estate, asset and acquisition finance. The team's impressive client base comprises mainly key multinational banks. The firm is also recognised for its prominent activity in the financial services regulatory field, advising credit and financial institutions on the migration and transfer of financing services.
Chambers Europe 2022
Gide Loyrette Nouel offers strong contentious and non-contentious expertise, with corporate support work making up a third key pillar of the practice. The group also boasts an innovation and fintech desk to assists start-ups and established players alike with the regulatory issues at the intersection of technology and financial services. Jean-Guillaume de Tocqueville, who co-directs the practice with managing partner Stéphane Puel, advised Kepler Chevreux on regulatory issues relating to the acquisition of 28% of its share capital by Atlas Merchant Capital Fund and Edmond de Rothschild. Olivier Bernardi assisted Eurazeo with the regulatory aspects of its acquisition of Idinvest Partners. Guillaume Goffin, who has a particular focus on investment funds, was recently promoted to the partnership.
Legal 500 EMEA 2019