David-James Sebag is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions / Corporate group, and shares his time between Gide's New York and Paris offices. David-James practice focuses primarily on M&A, Venture Capital and Private Equity with a concentration on cross-border transactions.
David-James has represents a large number of US companies and European private equity funds in securing French investments, and advises companies in their numerous operations (acquisitions, partnerships, financings or restructurings) in France and abroad, predominantly in the US. He regularly counsels private equity investors, corporate clients and entrepreneurs on successful venture capital and growth transactions with an industry focus on technology.
Prior to joining Gide, David-James was a corporate partner in the Paris office of a global US law firm. David-James is a member of the New York and Paris Bars.
Recent experience includes advising:
- LFPI for their minority leveraged investment in the listed company Umanis (Euronext Paris).
- Partech for its growth capital investments in various French technology companies including Evaneos, ManoMano and SendinBlue.
- Parkland Fuel Corporation for the French aspects of the $1.2 billion acquisition of 75% of SOL, including foreign investment clearance procedure.
- Motion Equity Partners in the leveraged buyout of Laboratoire Equilibre Attitude and Groupe Minlay.
- John Hancock in the French aspects of the acquisition of a minority stake in Phoenix Tower International, a telecom tower company, from Blackstone (NYSE).
- The joint venture between the CDC International (French sovereign fund) and Qatar Investment Authority in the €100 million financing of Devialet.
- Colfax (NYSE) on the French aspects of the $3.1 billion acquisition of DJO Global, a global leader in orthopedic solutions.
- Guerbet (Euronext Paris) for €300 million acquisition of the Contrast Media and Delivery Systems business of Mallinckrodt (NYSE).
- Idinvest Partners (part of Eurazeo) on various investments in technology companies in Europe (including WeFox, Secret Escapes, Happn, Storefront and Organica).
- Hitachi Data Systems on the acquisition of oXya, a French leader in SAP technical solutions.
- Dataiku, Dreem, Launchmetrics, and other numerous growth companies, for their equity financings in France and the US.
- The management of Hana Group for the leveraged buyout of TA Associates, and the subsequent build-up acquisition of Genji in the US.
- Private equity investors of French software group Graitec on the sale of the company to Autodesk Inc. (NASDAQ).
- DBV Technologies, medical device company, on its Initial Public Offering (Euronext Paris) and dual-listing (NASDAQ).
- A French semi-conductor company on the acquisition of the European division of Atmel Inc. (NASDAQ).
He graduated from Columbia Law School (LL.M. 2001) and from Paris I - Panthéon-Sorbonne University (DEA US Business Law 2000 and DESS Business and Tax Law 1999).
« David-James Sebag advises global private equity companies on their investments in the leisure, retail and technology sectors and is additionally active for start-ups on the funding aspects of their development. Clients regard him as 'responsive, commercial and technically solid.' »
Chambers Europe 2019
« The increasingly visible David-James Sebag enters the rankings this year. Clients highlight his 'particularly good knowledge of French-American elements.' He advises private equity funds and corporate clients mainly coming from the technology sector on venture capital and growth transactions. »
Chambers Europe 2018
« Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. handled a large number of venture and growth capital instructions and acts for investors and target companies. The group covers the full-range of investment issues, from the drafting and the negotiation of investment agreements to issuing securities and setting up profit-sharing and incentive plans, for executives and shareholders. »
Legal 500 EMEA 2018