David-James Sebag is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions group, and shares his time between Gide's New York and Paris offices. David-James practice focuses primarily on M&A, Venture Capital, Growth and Private Equity with a focus on cross-border transactions.
David-James represents a large number of global companies and private equity funds for their French investments, and advises leading tech companies for their acquisitions or financings in France and in the US. He regularly counsels private equity investors, corporate clients and entrepreneurs on successful M&A, VC and growth transactions, with an focus on technology, healthcare and foreign-investment sensitive industries.
David-James Sebag is Co-Head of Gide's VC global practice group and Head of the New York office.
Prior to joining Gide, David-James was a corporate partner in the Paris office of a global US law firm. David-James is a Member of the New York and Paris Bars.
Click here to read the article by Décideurs Magazine - Le sprint des licornes françaises.
Recent experiences include advising:
- Talend, a leader in data integration and data integrity (NASDAQ), on its acquisition by Thoma Bravo for USD 2.4 billion.
- Spendesk, MWM, Nfinite, Odaseva, Launchmetrics, and other numerous growth companies, for their equity financings in France and the US
- The shareholders of French tech companies Adyoulike, Coorpacademy, TvTy, Clustree, in their 100% acquisition by US/international buyers
- Partech for its growth capital and VC investments in various French technology companies including Evaneos, SendinBlue, Weglot and Rouje
- Tenable Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ) in the acquisition of Alsid, a French cybersecurity company
- Colfax (NYSE) on the French aspects of the $3.1 billion acquisition of DJO Global, a global leader in orthopedic solutions
- Balderton for its VC investments in various French companies including Sweep, Numeral, Virtuo, Tempow, Playplay, Gitguardian
- The management of Hana Group for the leveraged buyout of TA Associates, the subsequent build-up acquisition of Genji in the US and the secondary buy-out of Permira
- Temasek for its investments in French companies ManoMano and Alan
- Guerbet (Euronext Paris) on the 300 million acquisition of the Contrast Media and Delivery Systems business of Mallinckrodt (NYSE)
- Eurazeo on various investments in Europe, including WeFox, Secret Escapes, Molotov and Happn
- The joint venture between the CDC International (French sovereign fund) and Qatar Investment Authority in the financing of Devialet
- Parkland Fuel Corporation for the French aspects of the $1.2 billion acquisition of 75% of SOL, including foreign investment clearance procedure
« The practice is jointly led by Pierre Karpik, David-James Sebag and Louis Oudot de Dainville. [...] and Sebag is dual qualified at the New York bar. »
Legal 500 EMEA 2023 - Private Equity : Venture / Growth Capital
« David-James Sebag moves up the rankings this year following widespread praise from the market. He acts for venture capital funds and startups on transactions spanning sectors such as e-commerce, entertainment and insurance. He is qualified in France and the USA. Strengths: "He is our go-to lawyer for French investment transactions." "He is an excellent negotiator, an excellent team leader, very connected and a perfect bridge with the US market." »
Chambers Europe 2023 - PE : Venture Capital
« Pierre Karpik et David-James Sebag dirigent l’équipe avec talent. Ils sont très impliqués dans les fichiers, très disponibles. Julien Negroni et Donal Davy sont des atouts exceptionnels pour l’équipe. »
Legal 500 Paris 2022 - Private Equity : Capital risque et Capital developpement
« The team is led by trio Pierre Karpik, David-James Sebag and Louis Oudot de Dainville who bring extensive expertise in the technology and healthcare sectors to the table. »
Legal 500 EMEA 2022 - Private Equity: Venture / Growth Capital
« David-James Sebag acts for venture capital funds and startups on transactions spanning sectors such as e-commerce, entertainment and insurance. One client details that he "stands out because of his transactional knowledge and expertise, his experience with French governmental processes, pragmatism and business focus." »
Chambers Europe 2022 - PE: Venture Capital
« Pierre Karpik and David-James Sebag lead the team with talent. They are very involved in the files, very available. »
Legal 500 EMEA 2021
« David-James Sebag acts for venture capital funds and startups on transactions spanning sectors such as e-commerce, entertainment and insurance. Clients enthuse: "He is a very commercial and pragmatic venture capital lawyer," adding: "He is highly organised and responsive. »
Chambers Europe 2021
« David-James Sebag moves up the rankings this year amid growing appreciation from sources for his adept handling of venture capital matters. Clients note that he "is building a bridge between France and the US," adding that he is "advising a lot of US firms investing in France or French companies starting in the US." Sources also laud his pragmatism and commercial awareness. »
Chambers Europe 2020