We act from the construction contract through to the seizure of the vessel, in cases relating to the civil liability of the vessel owner or to the specific regimes governing pollution, in particular. It handles all transport consignment contracts and vessel chartering under a charter-party contract, as well as insurance issues that are of interest to all maritime activities, in terms of faculties or third-party liability.
The team also advises on vessel financing operations using mortgage loans with tax leverage, including in particular the issues relating to the registration of vessels and of securities, etc.
As a recognised specialist in the management of major maritime disasters, the Transport team handles in particular a number of disputes on maritime pollution, particularly hydrocarbon pollution, and has gained particular sought-after expertise in pollution by transport and discharge of hazardous products and waste, regardless of their nature, in sea and river environments, as well as in questions relating to the compensation of victims and applicable liability regimes.
It also works with maritime companies in the implementation of a structural, regulatory or contractual framework enabling the development of their activity and new projects [lien vers infrastructures et transports].
Within the Insurance, Industrial Risk & Transport department, Gide’s maritime knowledge is recognised both thanks to the wide variety of fields handled and its clients. Our Firm’s practice developed through cases affecting all events linked to vessel lifecycle, both in contract law and disputes, on behalf of various maritime transport operators (ship-owners, transport companies, insurance companies, bankers, shipyards, P&I Clubs, oil companies, loaders, cruise organisers).
In the handling of major maritime disasters, the Transport team has acquired significant experience in the pollution of marine and watercourse environments.
Main areas of expertise
Liability and insurance
- Handling of all disputes related to the lifecycle and operation of a vessel
- Advising and assisting in civil and criminal disputes, whether regarding the owner’s, builder’s or charterer’s third-party liability, or special liability regimes, particularly in terms of pollution
- Advising and assisting on all matters relating to the compensation of victims and maritime industry insurance companies, both in faculties and civil liability
- Advising and assisting seizures and repossession of vessels
- Representing clients in amicable or legal expert assessments
- Advising and assisting in vessel registration
- Advising on compliance with French, European and international law regarding the maritime transport of passengers and goods, regardless of their hazardous or non-hazardous nature
- Advising and assisting in the context of oil platform activities
- Regulations regarding offshore wind farm activities
- Assisting in the financing of vessels, leasing and lease-back operations, lease portfolio transfers, lease portfolio securitization, mortgage loans with tax leverage, alongside specialist teams within the Firm
- Supporting our clients in the development of documentary credit, financing of transport means
- Assisting in the pre-acquisition audits of vessels or shipping companies
- Registration of mortgages and securities
Commercial agreements and contracts
- Advising on construction and sale contracts of vessels
- Advising on contracts related to the operation of the vessel: transportation contracts under bill of lading, charter contracts, etc
- Advising on maritime sale contracts, drafting of Incoterms, of trading contracts
- Advising on the implementation of logistics and freight forwarding contracts
Port, river and customs activities
- Assisting in developing transport operations for goods and passengers by river
- Advising and assisting in litigation related to customs law and relations with port authorities
- Advising and assisting in disputes related to the public domain or port police
- Assisting in the creation of handling and shipping agent companies and managing their disputes