Gide's Insurance practice group brings together thirty lawyers based throughout our network of offices and with the specific skills required to handle the various legal issues encountered within the fields of insurance and reinsurance.
The expertise of the Insurance practice group covers the entire range of services that may be required by the traditional key players in the insurance sector (insurers, insurance distributors, reinsurers) as well as by businesses from other sectors that face insurance-related issues or that wish to develop their own capacity to supply insurance services to others:
- Insurance companies / Regulatory. Our lawyers regularly assist insurers as well as any other organisations bearing insurance risks (mutual insurance companies) in all matters related to their obligations in terms of assets, solvency and, more generally, any prudential obligations. The skills available within the Insurance practice group also extend to assistance in relations between insurance companies and the audit authorities: applications for accreditation and licences as well as assistance and defence in the event of an audit.
- Insurance brokers / Distributors. We regularly assist traditional insurance brokers, as well as other operators wishing to distribute insurance products. With recognised expertise in implementing insurance product distribution schemes and boosted by the publication of numerous articles as well as one of the reference works in the field (Lamy Assurances), our Insurance practice group is the recognised leader on the French market.
- Reinsurance / Alternative risk transfer. The Insurance practice group regularly assists reinsurers in all issues relating to the regulations applicable to their field and works on the implementation of alternative risk transfer schemes.
- Life insurance. The Insurance practice group has recognised expertise in both audits of existing or future insurance schemes and the drafting of pre-contractual documentation and life insurance (assurance-vie) or capital bond contracts. The practice group is particularly specialised in all aspects of documentation relating to the sale of insurance products, for example distance selling, pre-contractual information and advice, particularly as regards life insurance.
- General insurance. The Insurance practice group has recognised expertise in both audits of existing or future insurance schemes and the drafting of pre-contractual documentation and non-life insurance contracts. It is particularly specialised in all aspects of documentation relating to the sale of insurance products, for example distance selling, pre-contractual information and advice.
- Construction insurance. Our lawyers are specialised in dealing with legal issues relating to construction insurance. They manage a wide range of files, particularly for insurance companies, involving liability issues specific to builders, public or private project owners, project managers, contractors and technicians. Our team works on pre-contentious and contentious management of disputes involving construction insurance or the performance of public or private tender contracts (expert report proceedings, pre-construction survey procedures, follow-up on pre-contentious or court-ordered expert reports, representation in any court), requiring insurance policies to come into play (for construction defects, ten-year warranty, or other optional policies). The Construction Insurance team works closely with the Real Estate practice group to assist its clients in reviewing and analysing the legal aspects involved in real estate acquisitions/sales or any real estate construction or refurbishment projects.
- Insurance and reinsurance litigation. The Insurance practice group assists and represents enterprises from all business sectors in disputes involving insurance-related issues before the commercial, civil and criminal courts as well as in arbitration proceedings.
- Restructuring /Corporate audit. Our lawyers regularly work on restructuring operations involving mergers, acquisitions and changes in control. Together with the Mergers & Acquisitions / Corporate practice group, the Insurance team boasts, in particular, recognised expertise in restructurings involving insurers and brokers.
- Taxation. Together with the lawyers from the Tax team, the Insurance practice group handles all tax issues surrounding insurance products.
The insurance practice at Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. remains a leading force in the market, advising major insurers, operators in banking and finance, service providers, industrial groups and international law firms involved in high-value, cross-border transactions and complex litigation. Headed by insurance and reinsurance authority Richard Ghueldre (who brings over 25 years' experience in the practice area to the team) and Capucine Bernier (a specialist in civil liability, particularly non-life insurance disputes), the group has a comprehensive offering covering regulatory issues, insurance contract law, acquisitions, litigation and arbitration, accident management, and the establishment of insurance programmes and distribution schemes on a domestic and international level. Other key figures include counsel Charles-Eric Delamare-Deboutteville, a specialist in prudential regulation and insurance contracts, and associate Julie Brulé, who manages civil liability matters.
Legal 500 EMEA 2023 - Insurance
La pratique de Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. couvre les problématiques d'assurance, de transports et de risques industriels. Le cabinet intervient principalement en conseil mais traite aussi le contentieux. La base de clientèle comprend de nombreux assureurs et réassureurs, ainsi que des courtiers d'assurance et des entreprises spécialisées dans les secteurs du transport, de l'industrie et de la construction. L’équipe dispose d’une grande expérience et traite régulièrement des dossiers c à forts enjeux. Elle gère principalement des dossiers d’envergure nationale, mais le réseau de bureaux du cabinet à l'étranger lui permet aussi de facilement se déployer à l’international lorsque nécessaire. L’équipe est codirigée par Richard Ghueldre et Capucine Bernier qui sont des avocats réputés.
Legal 500 Paris 2022
The practice at Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is set up as an insurance, transport and industrial risks group which assists with contentious and non-contentious matters, with advisory work accounting for a particularly significant portion of the workload. With clients including insurers and reinsurers as well as insurance brokers and companies from the team's core sectors, including the transport, industry and construction sectors, the practice can draw on its extensive track record and wide-angle knowledge to assist with complex high-stakes matters. The caseload is primarly domestic in nature, but the firm's offices abroad allow for one-stop-shop coverage. The renowned Richard Ghueldre and Capucine Bernier direct the team.
Legal 500 EMEA 2021
First-class firm regularly acting on disputes between insurers and on behalf of insureds. Advises French and multinational players on the acquisitions of insurance portfolios and on digitisation projects. Represents clients in class actions as well as civil and criminal litigation. Multifaceted practice able to assist with industrial risk matters, insurance start-ups and interactions with national regulators. Clients praise the 'excellent and dedicated team' which provides 'good client service and responsiveness.' Interviewees also appreciate that 'the specialisms of the firm's departments complement each other.'
Chambers Europe 2019
Gide Loyrette Nouel assists with contentious and non-contentious matters, especially in the finance and insurance and reinsurance sectors. Richard Ghueldre heads the practice, with Capucine Bernier as the other main practitioner.
Legal 500 EMEA 2019