We are strongly positioned to assist you at all stages of a dispute. Our lawyers are accustomed to legally and factually complex, multi-jurisdictional and high-value cases. We are well versed in the full range of alternative dispute resolution services, including negotiation, mediation, expert determination and adjudication, and work together with our clients to find creative, win-win solutions wherever possible. Where a dispute progresses to trial, we are able to draw from a dedicated team of experts, including as appropriate specialists from other teams or offices, who are acclaimed for their resourceful and effective advocacy.
We regularly handle court proceedings in support of arbitration, including applications for interim and conservatory measures and the challenge and enforcement of arbitral awards.
Our team has an established reputation across a wide range of industry sectors and fields of law, from corporate and contractual disputes, to oil & gas, energy, mining and natural resources, intellectual property, banking and finance, distribution agreements, commodities and construction disputes, to name only a few. In addition, we assist states, public bodies and investors in investment-related arbitrations, whether under the ICSID or other arbitral rules. Members of our team are also well-respected arbitrators.
We are familiar with all major international arbitration rules as well as with ad hoc arbitrations. Our multicultural team has an in-depth expertise in arbitrations with numerous different seats and governing laws, working where appropriate with our Best Friends network or our contacts in other leading local law firms.
Relevant experience includes:
- Counsel to a Spanish investor in the longest running ICSID arbitration to date, against the Republic of Chile regarding the seizure of a Chilean publishing house. The award was subject to a partial annulment and the proceedings have been remitted before a second arbitral Tribunal. The proceedings have been conducted in English, Spanish and French.
- Counsel to a major player in nuclear power production in an ICC arbitration against a global German engineering firm relating to the termination of their joint venture. Following the Respondent opening negotiations with a third party, the claimant successfully claimed breach of the non-competition and confidentiality clauses in the joint venture agreement.
- Counsel to a major German firm in a dispute in the satellite telecommunications sector. An ICC arbitration took place in Paris concerning a contract for lease of capacity on a satellite and associated grant of use of frequency rights.
- Counsel to a real estate investor in an ICC Geneva arbitration against a property developer regarding the sale of two luxury apartment blocks. The dispute is subject to Qatari law.
- Counsel to a major French bank in two ICC arbitrations in a dispute stemming from the financing of a hospital in Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to a leading French engineering company in an ICC arbitration against a Middle Eastern subcontractor. The dispute concerned the construction, maintenance and upgrade of oil pipelines. The law of the United Arab Emirates applied (Technip).
Has a strong reputation for arbitration work in jurisdictions such as Paris, London, Warsaw and Hong Kong. Often advises on investment, construction, defence and energy-related disputes. Has a strong presence in Africa.
Chambers Global 2017
Highly respected domestic practice advising on disputes across a broad range of sectors including construction, investment, oil and gas, mining and defence. The team frequently represents clients in arbitrations under ICC, ICSID and UNCITRAL rules and the lawyers are adept in multi-jurisdictional disputes, in particular those related to Africa. They also offer alternative dispute resolution services such as mediation. Market commentators highlight it as a leading French firm with a 'creative' and 'proactive team'.
Chambers Europe 2017
Gide Loyrette Nouel is praised for its ‘quality of work and capability to build solid relationships with its clients’. Based in London and Paris, the 24-lawyer team has ‘well-known experience in ICC construction arbitration’ and provides ‘very appropriate views on necessary actions and opportunities for dispute settlement’.
Legal 500 EMEA 2017