We are strongly positioned to assist you at all stages of a dispute. Our lawyers are accustomed to legally and factually complex, multi-jurisdictional and high-value cases. We are well versed in the full range of alternative dispute resolution services, including negotiation, mediation, expert determination and adjudication, and work together with our clients to find creative, win-win solutions wherever possible. Where a dispute progresses to trial, we are able to draw from a dedicated team of experts, including as appropriate specialists from other teams or offices, who are acclaimed for their resourceful and effective advocacy.
We regularly handle court proceedings in support of arbitration, including applications for interim and conservatory measures and the challenge and enforcement of arbitral awards.
Our team has an established reputation across a wide range of industry sectors and fields of law, from corporate and contractual disputes, to oil & gas, energy, mining and natural resources, intellectual property, banking and finance, distribution agreements, commodities and construction disputes, to name only a few. In addition, we assist states, public bodies and investors in investment-related arbitrations, whether under the ICSID or other arbitral rules. Members of our team are also well-respected arbitrators.
We are familiar with all major international arbitration rules as well as with ad hoc arbitrations. Our multicultural team has an in-depth expertise in arbitrations with numerous different seats and governing laws, working where appropriate with our Best Friends network or our contacts in other leading local law firms.
Relevant experience includes:
- Counsel to a Spanish investor in the longest running ICSID arbitration to date, against the Republic of Chile regarding the seizure of a Chilean publishing house. The award was subject to a partial annulment and the proceedings have been remitted before a second arbitral Tribunal. The proceedings have been conducted in English, Spanish and French.
- Counsel to a major player in nuclear power production in an ICC arbitration against a global German engineering firm relating to the termination of their joint venture. Following the Respondent opening negotiations with a third party, the claimant successfully claimed breach of the non-competition and confidentiality clauses in the joint venture agreement.
- Counsel to a major German firm in a dispute in the satellite telecommunications sector. An ICC arbitration took place in Paris concerning a contract for lease of capacity on a satellite and associated grant of use of frequency rights.
- Counsel to a real estate investor in an ICC Geneva arbitration against a property developer regarding the sale of two luxury apartment blocks. The dispute is subject to Qatari law.
- Counsel to a major French bank in two ICC arbitrations in a dispute stemming from the financing of a hospital in Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to a leading French engineering company in an ICC arbitration against a Middle Eastern subcontractor. The dispute concerned the construction, maintenance and upgrade of oil pipelines. The law of the United Arab Emirates applied (Technip).
Longstanding expertise in a range of commercial arbitration topics, especially those relating to construction contracts for energy, infrastructure or real estate projects in African, Latin American and European jurisdictions. Often acts for French corporates and insurance companies on shareholder disputes and the termination of commercial contracts. Also handles setting-aside proceedings. Further experience in expropriation cases and post-M&A disputes.
Chambers Europe 2021
Major French firm that handles prominent international arbitrations from its Paris office. Primarily assists with commercial arbitration proceedings and is experienced in cases under ICC rules. Acts for clients on proceedings arising out of contractual disputes. Further teams in Warsaw and London often play a supporting role in construction cases relating to delayed energy and real estate projects in Eastern Europe, Latin America and Africa.
Chambers Europe 2021